REGULATION OF EXCELLENCE IN JOURNALISM AWARD OF THE INTER AMERICAN PRESS ASSOCIATION (IAPA)
Presentation of work and categories
- The competition takes place in 13 basic categories besides the IAPA Grand Prize for Press Freedom. Published papers can compete in any of the three languages mentioned: Spanish, English and Portuguese. The various categories are listed on the registration form is filled and sent over the internet.
- The “IAPA Grand Prize for Press Freedom” is open to individuals or organizations from the mainland by an extraordinary action in defense of press freedom. Excluded from this distinction SIP officials and persons employed by the SIP for special jobs.
- Only those bidders will be considered journalism actually published in a daily, weekly, magazine or online publication. Therefore excluded books, essays, dissertations and other intellectual manifestation that has not been published in the aforementioned forms. The same applies to news agencies.
- Papers may be submitted by 15 January of each year and will consist of papers published during the previous calendar year.
- Nominations for the “IAPA Grand Prize for Press Freedom” will be made by members of the SIP during the Midyear Meeting or through third parties, as long as an active member of the nomination. Actual events or publications of individuals or organizations that are deserving of this application should have been made in the previous year but may cover longer than that indicated in the judgment and decision of the members of the Awards Committee. During the Midyear Meeting will be an amphora in which attendees can place their nominations for “IAPA Grand Prize for Press Freedom.”
- Contestants will bring their general data electronically through the form on the website of the SIP. Once you have entered the data (name, category that is competing, personal and environmental management that published the work, etc..), The participant sent (load up) contestant work in two ways: WORD and PDF document.
- If it were a series should include all the notes within it. If the number exceeds five publications, then you only need to submit the first five and the last publication of the series, indicating the number of deliveries.
- If it were a work of photography, cartoon or graphics, may be sent in any program available for pictures. Shipping should contain, in addition to the image, the page of the newspaper in which it was published.
- The jury may access these works and make a first selection of the best, to be the list of finalists (about ten per category), who may additionally be asked to submit originals and additional information. From this list select the winners in each category.
Limitations and clarifications
- The work may compete in only one category, which is clearly defined by the contestant. The jury, in its discretion, may reclassify jobs.
- If the same journalistic work has been published in more than one publication, although it belongs to the same publishing company, the applicant must choose only one. If submitted under more than one publication, will be disqualified.
- The same journalist can submit jobs to three categories, but can not send more than one application per category. A collective work shall, for these purposes, as a single person, so that the work may compete in only one category.
- The awards are given to journalists and the media.
- Both the author (or authors) of the participant working as the editor of the environment where it was published, give intellectual property rights of publication of the work that proves awarded exclusively for placement on the website of the SIP or inclusion in any publication distributed free SIP to SIP partners. No royalties for these concepts.
- The IAPA President shall appoint, among its members, the president, vice president and judges of the jury. Accordingly, the jury shall consist of directors and editors of print media in the Americas.
- The jury will meet during the Midyear Meeting and exceptionally on the dates decided by the jury foreman.
- Jury chairman may appoint judges to specifically inform and substantiate proposals winners in the categories assigned to it. However, the jury’s decisions will be taken in a collegial manner.
- At the time of judging a category in which that work appeared in a publication or chain that is linked to a member of the jury, the judge will declare prevented contestant respective work.
More about the awards
- The winners will receive their prizes-consisting of cash, plaques and / or diplomas, during the annual General Assembly of the SIP. News organizations that sponsor the nomination of their candidates undertake to provide, within its capacity, the concurrence of the winners at the award ceremony of the awards.
- In the opinion of the jury may also award honorable mentions, in which case the prize is a diploma.