The Impunity Project has its origins in the Project Against Impunity, created in 1995 to reduce the lack of justice that surrounds many of the crimes against journalists in the Western Hemisphere.
The main work strategies of the Impunity Project are:
- Advocate: through missions to countries and by orders and special requests;
- Investigate: through investigative journalists who make up the Rapid Response Unit of the SIP;
- Promote: through a public campaign advertisements in print and electronic media to educate about impunity and demand justice;
- Training: through seminars and conferences to help reduce the risks journalists in their professional coverage.
The Impunity Project received financial support from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation from 1995 until 2012.
At present, the most outstanding project activity is the advocacy work through the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR), and the periodic review and monitoring of 29 cases of journalists murdered that have been brought to the Inter-American justice system.
In coordination with the regional Vice Presidents of the Committee on Freedom of the Press and Information of the IAPA and the members of the Commission of Chapultepec, the program keeps accurate and update information on those cases which allows the IAPA to denounce clearly and categorically the scourge of impunity.
Committee Against Impunity
- Chairman: Juan Francisco Ealy Ortiz, El Universal, México City, Mexico
- Vice Chairman: Marco Zileri, Caretas, Lima, Perú
- Ulilo Acevedo, Hoy Diario de Magdalena, Santa Marta, Colombia
- David Aponte, El Universal, Mexico City, Mexico
- Heriberto Cantú de Andar, El Mañana de Nuevo Laredo, Nuevo Laredo, eéxico
- José Eustorgio Colmenares, La Opinión de Cúcuta, Cúcuta, Colombia
- Roberto Rock, Grupo La Silla Rota, Mexico City, México
- Miguel Henrique Otero, El Nacional, Caracas, Venezuela
- Gonzalo Leaño Aceves, Ocho Columnas, Zapopán, Jalisco, Mexico
- Persio Maldonado, El Nuevo Diario, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- André Luis Jungblut Gazeta Do Sul Santa Cruz do Sul, Brazil
- Ricardo Pedreira ANJ Brasília, Brazil
- Roberto Pombo, El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia
- Carlos Salinas, El Diario de Coahuila, Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico