MIAMI, Florida (December 2, 2016)—The Inter American Press Association (IAPA) today invited journalism and communication students in the Americas to send in their entries for its annual Excellence in Journalism contest. The deadline is January 15, 2017.
This year, for the first time, the IAPA is holding a place within its famed contest for works by future media professionals.
"Universities are the breeding grounds of ideas and talents where tomorrow's leaders and professionals are formed. In Communication and Journalism schools future executives, editors and reporters exercise their first tools, energies and talents that are channeled in university publications (print and digital)," the details of this new University Journalism category state.
1. All students of university centers of the Americas will be able to participate in the following languages: English, Spanish and Portuguese.
2. There will be accepted only entries in the news features category.
3. The works should have been actually published – on a print or digital platform – during 2016 in university or traditional news media, certifying that the student had that status at the time of publication.
4. There will not be admitted works pertaining to other genres – reporting, interview, comment, photography, documentary, story, etc.
5. Nor will degree thesis, class or workshop works be accepted.
To participate in the IAPA's Excellence in Journalism contest it is not necessary to be a member of the organization. In these links will be found the rules and the format in which the works should be submitted.
The winner will receive $2,000 and a diploma. The awards ceremony will be held during the next IAPA General Assembly, to be held in Salt Lake City, Utah, on October 2017. The IAPA does not cover the costs of attendance and accommodation.
The IAPA is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the defense and promotion of freedom of the press and of expression in the Americas. It is made up of more than 1,300 publications from throughout the Western Hemisphere and is based in Miami, Florida.