This year the Alejandro Miró Quesada Garland Award, sponsored by El Comercio, Lima, Peru, will be awarded in the Best Interview category instead of the Mobile Journalism category. On the other hand, the IAPA welcomes a new sponsor: Infobae.
Only those journalistic pieces effectively published during 2021 in print media, whether newspapers, weeklies, magazines, and in native digital media or online publications of radio and television stations, will be considered as contestants. The deadline for the receipt of applications is January 30, 2022.
A jury of the IAPA Awards Commission members will choose the winner in each category. The first prize in each category receives US$ 2,000. The award ceremony will occur in October 2022 during the 78th IAPA General Assembly.
Every year, the IAPA awards the Grand Prize for Press Freedom to a person or organization with significant achievements in favor of this cause.
To participate, it is not necessary to be a member of the IAPA; click here.
The 14 categories of the IAPA Journalistic Excellence Awards 2022 are:
1. Caricature (sponsored by El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia)
2. News coverage on the internet (sponsored by TV Venezuela, Miami, Florida)
3. News coverage (sponsored by Grupo Opsa, San Pedro Sula, Honduras)
4. Best Interview Alejandro Miró Quesada Garland (sponsored by El Comercio, Lima, Peru)
5. Oliver F. Clarke Chronicle (sponsored by The Gleaner, Kingston, Jamaica)
6. Human Rights and community service (sponsored by Debate Media, Mexico)
7. Photography (sponsored by La Prensa Gráfica, San Salvador, El Salvador)
8. Infographic (sponsored by Clarín, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
9. Opinion (sponsored by El Mercurio, Santiago, Chile)
10. Data journalism (sponsored by Grupo de Comunicaciones Corripio, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
11. In-depth journalism (sponsored by La República, Lima, Peru)
12. Environmental journalism Roberto Eisenmann Jr. (sponsored by La Prensa, Panama City, Panama)
13. "FIU Global Health" health journalism (sponsored by the Robert Stempel College of Public Health & Social Work, Florida International University, Miami, Florida.
14. University journalism (sponsored by Infobae).
IAPA is a non-profit organization dedicated to defending and promoting freedom of the press and expression in the Americas. It comprises more than 1,300 publications from the western hemisphere; and is based in Miami, Florida, United States.