Miami (October 23, 2019) - The president of the Inter American Press Association (IAPA), Christopher Barnes, announced the names of the chairs of the committees and subcommittees of the organization that will accompany him during his term in the period 2019 -2020.
Managing Director of The Gleaner, Kingston, Jamaica, Barnes in his inaugural speech during the general assembly held from October 4 to 7 in Coral Gables, Florida, United States, expressed feeling motivated by the challenges overcome by many presidents and members before him.
Barnes, who succeeds María Elvira Domínguez, director of the newspaper El País de Cali, Colombia, also addressed the chairmen of committees to whom he said: "What we as IAPA members have in common is an unrelenting commitment to protect freedom of expression which is an inalienable an essential right to be enjoyed by all citizens of any country."
The chairmen of the committees and subcommittees appointed by Barnes are:
• Press Freedom and Information Committee, Roberto Rock, La Silla Rota, Mexico City, Mexico, who will be assisted by Vice Presidents Eduardo Quirós, Grupo Editorial El Siglo and La Estrella, Panama, Panama and Carlos Schaerer, El Mercurio, Santiago, Chile. The Press Freedom and Information Committee has three subcommittees.
- Chapultepec Subcommittee, Roberto Pombo, El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia.
- Impunity Subcommittee, Juan Francisco Ealy Lanz-Duret, El Universal, Mexico City, Mexico.
- Salta Subcommittee, Laura Puertas, Medcom, Panama, Panama.
• International Affairs Committee, Miguel Henrique Otero, El Nacional, Caracas, Venezuela.
• Awards Committee, Leonor Mulero, GFR Media, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
• Finance Committee, Hugo Holmann, La Prensa, Managua, Nicaragua.
• Audit Committee, María Eugenia Mohme, La República, Lima, Peru.
• Legal Committee, Martín Etchevers, Clarín, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
• New Members Committee, Gabriela Vivanco, La Hora, Quito, Ecuador.
• Fundraising and Resources Committees, Diego Quijano, La Prensa, Panama, Panama.
• Internet Committees, Martha Ramos, Mexican Editorial Organization, Mexico City, Mexico
• Investment Committee, Jorge Canahuati, OPSA Group, San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
The Nominations Committee appointed the chairmen of the committees of Press Institute and Scholarship, positions that were approved by the General Assembly.
• Press Institute Committee, Ernesto Kraiselburd, El Día, La Plata, Argentina.
• Scholarship Committee, Gilberto Urdaneta, El Regional del Zulia Regional, Ciudad Ojeda, Venezuela.
The IAPA is a non-profit organization dedicated to the defense and promotion of freedom of the press and expression in the Americas. It is made up of more than 1,300 publications from the Western Hemisphere; and is based in Miami, United States.