78th General Assembly

October 27 – 30, 2022

Madrid, Spain


Murders of journalists, a kidnapping, physical attacks, attacks and damage to journalistic facilities mark the dangerous and unsafe scenario in which the press has to carry out its work.

Amid the climate of violence caused by armed gangs and the crisis of institutions, as well as the protests by the opposition against the government of Prime Minister Ariel Henry, Haitian journalists have not been able to escape the hell that has engulfed the country.

On July 17, an armed group kidnapped journalist Edner Decime, of Group Media Alternatif, along with other people. After 20 days in captivity, he was released on August 5.

Journalists Frantzsen Charles - of FS News and Tayson Lartigue - of Tijèn Jounalis, were killed on September 11 while covering clashes between rival gangs in Cité Soleil - Port-au-Prince's most violent neighborhood. Their bodies were burned. Five other journalists - who were reporting on insecurity in the area along with Charles and Lartigue - were also attacked but escaped unharmed. The journalists were allegedly ambushed by members of the G9 gang as they were returning from interviewing the parents of a teenage girl killed there the day before.

Journalist Robert Dimanche was attacked by police officers during demonstrations that left one dead and several injured.

Three other journalists, Yvenson Joinvil - of Radio Tele Zenith; Youly Destine and Luly Menard, were shot and wounded while covering events.

On September 13 - in the Petion Ville neighborhood - the main office of Radio Model was attacked and destroyed – on this incident a technician from the station was shot and wounded and there was extensive material damage.

On September 15, demonstrators protesting against government-imposed economic policies stormed the offices of the state-owned Haitian National Radio Television (TNH) in the Delmas neighborhood, set fire to three vehicles, threw rocks at the building, and stole equipment from the station - according to local media. Police dispersed the mob and prevented the complete looting of the facilities.

In September, Radio Liberation - owned by Minister Enold Joseph - was also attacked and set on fire.

Also in September, the online agency Alter Press reported that the FM band had been severely affected by the energy and fuel crisis affecting the country.

In mid-October, Metrópole, one of the main radio and television stations, announced that, due to the security situation linked to the fuel shortage, it would temporarily reduce its broadcasting hours on the FM band and on channel 52.

On October 24 the body of journalist Tess Garry was found. He had been missing since October 18 when he left the town of Cavaillon, where his family lives, for the city of Les Cayes where he worked for radio Lebon FM. The family confirmed the identity of the journalist, whose face was disfigured and whose body showed signs of violence. Garry was a harsh critic of the government. He had received death threats.

On October 25, Roberson Alphonse, a well-known journalist for Le Nouvelliste, the country's leading daily newspaper, and a host on Magik 9, survived an assassination attempt in Delmas as he arrived at the station to host his program Panel Magik. Alphonse underwent two operations in a Port-au-Prince hospital and is recovering from the shooting.

On October 27, Le Nouvelliste, the main printed newspaper and the oldest in the country, announced the temporary suspension of its circulation, due to the fuel shortage linked to the serious political crisis. "Le Nouvelliste informs its subscribers, readers and advertisers that this issue is its last printed edition until further notice," said the newspaper founded in 1898, which will be available on its portal and social networks.