Miami (January 15, 2018) .- The Inter-American Press Association (IAPA) announced that there are only two weeks left until the closing of the 2018 Journalistic Excellence contest.
An adjudication panel made up of members of the IAPA's Awards Committee will choose the winner in each of the categories. Each first prize amounts to $2,000. The awards presentation ceremony will be held in October 2018 during the IAPA's 74th General Assembly in Salta, Argentina.
In addition to the 13 categories the IAPA awards the Press Freedom Grand Prize to a person or organization with significant achievements in favor of this cause.
To participate it is not necessary to belong to the IAPA, just click here.
The 13 categories are:
1. Cartoon (Sponsored by El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia)
2. Online News Coverage (Sponsored by TV Venezuela, Miami, Florida)
3. News Coverage (Sponsored by O Estado S. Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil)
4. Alejandro Miró Quesada Garland News Coverage on Mobile Phones (Sponsored by El Comercio, Lima, Peru)
5. Features (Sponsored by El Comercio, Quito, Ecuador, and McClatchy Newspapers, Sacramento, California)
6. Human Rights and Community Service (Sponsored by Panamá-América, Panama City, Panama; El Comercio, Lima, Peru; Organización Publicitaria, S.A., San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and La Nación, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
7. Photography (Sponsored by ABC Color, Asunción, Paraguay, and La Prensa Gráfica, San Salvador, El Salvador)
8. Infographics (Sponsored by Clarín, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
9. Opinion (Sponsored by El Mercurio, Santiago, Chile)
10. Data Journalism (Sponsored by El Diario de Hoy, San Salvador, El Salvador)
11. In-Depth Journalism (Sponsored by La República, Lima, Peru)
12. Roberto Eisenmann Jr. Environment Journalism (sponsored by La Prensa, Panama)
13. Pedro Joaquín Chamorro University Journalism (Sponsored by La Prensa, Managua, Nicaragua)
The IAPA is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the defense and promotion of freedom of the press and of expression in the Americas. It is made up of more than 1,300 publications from throughout the Western Hemisphere and is based in Miami, Florida.