Miami (March 2, 2023) - The Inter American Press Association (IAPA) reiterated that the call for entries is now open for the Excellence in Journalism 2023 contest, aimed at media and communications professionals from North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Spain.
Those works published between July 1, 2022, and June 30, 2023, in print media, whether daily newspapers, weeklies or magazines, digital native media, and online publications of radio and television stations, will be admitted. Nominations must be received by July 1, 2023.
It is not necessary to belong to the IAPA to participate.
The 14 categories of the SIP Excelencia Periodística 2023 Awards are:
1. Cartoon (sponsored by El Tiempo, Bogotá, Colombia)
2. Internet News Coverage (sponsored by Infobae)
3. News Coverage (sponsored by Grupo Opsa, San Pedro Sula, Honduras)
4. Interview Alejandro Miró Quesada Garland (sponsored by El Comercio, Lima, Peru)
5. Feature Oliver F. Clarke (sponsored by The Gleaner, Kingston, Jamaica)
6. Human Rights and Community Service (sponsored by Debate Media, Mexico)
7. Photography (sponsored by La Prensa Gráfica, San Salvador, El Salvador)
8. Infographics (sponsored by Clarín, Buenos Aires, Argentina)
9. Opinion (sponsored by El Mercurio, Santiago, Chile)
10. Data Journalism (sponsored by Grupo de Comunicaciones Corripio, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)
11. In-depth Journalism (sponsored by La República, Lima, Peru)
12. Environmental Journalism Roberto Eisenmann Jr. (sponsored by La Prensa, Panama City, Panama)
13. Health Journalism (sponsorship to be determined)
14. College Journalism (sponsored by the Latin American Council for the Accreditation of Journalism and Communication, CLAEP)
The IAPA thanks CNN en Español for its general sponsorship of the contest.
For the University Journalism category, the Awards Committee established new rules. The Jury will consider individual works, in the reportage genre, with a free theme that has been published only in university media.
Works that stand out in handling the reportage genre, whose essential characteristics are topicality, varied use of sources and data, photographs, interviews, and documents, in which skills learned during the career can be observed, will be taken into account.
A jury of the IAPA Awards Committee will select the winner in each category. The first prize in each category is US$2,000. The awards ceremony will be held in Mexico City in November 2023 during the 79th IAPA General Assembly.
The IAPA will also award the Grand Prize for Press Freedom to an individual or organization with significant achievements in favor of this cause.
IAPA is a non-profit organization dedicated to defending and promoting freedom of the press and expression in the Americas. It comprises more than 1,300 publications from the western hemisphere; and is based in Miami, Florida, United States.